A juvenile has been accused of making a threat against Taos High School on social media last week that led school officials to halt in-person learning and cancel sports events last Friday (Nov. 19).
Taos Police Chief John Wentz said officers responded to a report Thursday evening (Nov. 18) that the accused juvenile created a social media post last week including a picture of a weapon with a message that read, "Don't go to school tomorrow."
CJ Grace, the principal at Taos High School, sent a text message out to school parents early Friday morning notifying them that in-person learning and sports events would be cancelled for the day.
Wentz said numerous people saw the post before it was quickly taken down, although it is unclear to which social media platform it was posted or how it was removed.
"The subject who made the post was soon after identified as a juvenile and was contacted by Taos PD and Taos County Sheriff's Office. Action was taken to ensure the alleged threat toward Taos High School could not be carried out."
Wentz said the juvenile, who has not been identified because they are under 18, is accused of violating New Mexico Statute 30-20-13, which states that "No person shall willfully intefere with the educational process of any public or private school by committing, threatening to commit or inciting others to commit any act which would disrupt, impair, interfere with or obstruct the lawful mission, processes, procedures or functions of a public or private school."
The case has been referred to the Juvenile Probation & Parole Office in Taos.
Taos Municipal Schools Superintendent Dr. Lillian Torrez said that students will return to school on Monday (Nov. 29), following the Thanksgiving break.