The Taos Youth and Family Center on Paseo del Canon is set to fully reopen its doors to the public on Monday (July 12.)
The facility has been officially closed to the general public since the pandemic began, but has offered limited services to groups like the Taos Swim Club by appointment only. It's closure has been felt widely by the Taos community, perhaps most of all by working parents who have relied on the center for after school youth programs before the pandemic.
Beginning Monday, reservations will no longer be required, and the facility will open to as many people as its still limited staff can safely accommodate.
Town of Taos recreation director Tony Struck said the reopening has been highly anticipated by the community. “I'm excited to get the kids back in the building. I’m excited to see all of our community come back," he said. "It’s been a long year that we’ve been closed. We’re very excited to have everybody back. It's a beautiful thing.”
Struck said the center is still down several employees, including four lifeguards. “It's been crazy," he said. "[Staff members] were cut quite a bit over COVID. And we're just barely recovering. It’s good news for everything to be kind of opened up on July 1.”
The pool’s occupancy will be set by the number of lifeguards, Struck said, and is limited to 30 people per lifeguard. “As we get more lifeguards, we will allow more and more people in," he said. "But for right now it's going to depend on how many lifeguards we have on stand.”
The skating rink will be open for those wanting to bring their own skates, but the facility will not be renting skates until they move into the winter season. Basketball, boxing and the skate park will also be available.
The building will be open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sanitation stations are available, and temperature checks will be required.
- YFC Lobby and arcade will open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, closed Saturdays and Sunday
- Room rentals by reservation only; call 758-4160 for availabilit
- Rink will be available 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. for basketball and skating (skates not provided
- Lunches for youth from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Friday via a partnership with Taos School
- Sanitation stations are available; temperature checks required; masks should be worn if unvaccinated
- Water Aerobics, Monday, Wednesday, Friday 11:15 a.m. -12:15 p.m.
- Lap Swimming 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday through Friday
- Rec Swim Monday through Thursday 12:30 p.m. through 1:30 p.m. and 1:45 p.m. through 2:45 p.m.; capacity of 50 people per session
- Showers are not available
- Call 585-737-2583 for Kiddie and Therapy pool availability
- Pool will be closed on Saturday and Sunday until all lifeguard positions are filled