A bald eagle flapped his wings briskly and soared into the cloudy sky after being released Tuesday at Navajo Lake, the same place he was found a year ago so weakened by lead poisoning he couldn’t fly.

The eagle, later named Toucan Sam, had ingested so much lead — most likely from eating a fish that had swallowed a fishing sinker — that it was too high for a machine to measure.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

All comment authors MUST use their real names. Posts that cannot be ascribed to a real person
will not be moderated.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.