A "precautionary" lockdown at Taos High School was lifted at 3 p.m. Monday afternoon (April 24), allowing students to go home for the day, according to an update from Lt. David Maggio, acting police chief at the Taos Police Department.
The school had been placed on lockdown around 11:30 a.m. Monday morning (April 24) after allegedly recieving a threat from a suspended student.
The student, who has not been named, was suspended after engaging another student in an altercation last week.
Following the student's suspension, Taos High School reportedly became aware that the student had threatened to return to the school with a firearm to harm other students and faculty, according to a report recieved from Lt. David Maggio, acting police chief at the Taos Police Department.
Maggio emphasized that the lockdown was only implemented as a precaution, meaning that no one would be allowed in or out of the school until the lockdown was lifted. Shelter in place procedures, he said, were not implemented.
School buses lined Albright Street prior to the lockdown being lifted and parents waited patiently for the official word that their chidlren would be allowed to go home.
Superintendent Dr. Lillian Torrez said that no credible threat had been discovered, but that "you always have to be safe."
For updates on this story, check back at taosnews.com.